Wayte's Gigs: The Revel at Known World A&S
May 17 AS XXXII/ AD 1997
(At Some Point Really Soon Now, as chief instigator of this thing, I
fully intend to actually do a write-up explaning just what it was and
how to do it. It was sufficiently daunting to do, that I keep putting
off documenting it.... -- T.)
The Revel was, um, this multi-art performance/party for Countess
Mara's birthday. Thirty-three performances/participatory art things
in 2 1/2 hours. Just shy of half of the things were dancing "for all
who will", for which the Waytes played or the Quire sung.
Performing: (As best I recall!) Gwellian, Allyson, Godith,
Aurylia, Tibicen, Gwendolyn, Alienor, Gabrielle, Isolde?, John d'C,
Harald, Yocef?, Federach? (help me out, people!)
- Belle qui -- Waytes and Quire pavanned in with hosts
and guests of honor of the party, the singers bearing candles. That's
right -- we played and danced at the same time. Wheee! Magic trick:
put instrumentalists zig-zag through column, so always both behind and
beside a dancer/singer. Then dissolved into vocal galliard (Ce
Mois de May).
- Lauro/Falla con misuras (Spagna) -- just alto and
- Jenny Pluck Pears
- Petit Vriens -- standard arrangement, 'nino and
soprano, w/ drones and percussion.
- Geloxia -- for dance performance
- Heart's Ease -- Gwendolyn singing the middle verse
over Godith's bass recorder solo.
- Guest loud band, Woodland Waytes, did a suite of bransles
- Danse du Cleve -- Aurylia and Tibicen solo
- Parson's Farewell -- Tibicen started, all joined in
- Canarie/Carmen's Whistle
- Quire sang Oh Lusty May as galliard.
- Semi-spontaneous cantiga (no, don't remember which one) was
slammed together w/ Yeliz on doumbek and Tibicen on tamborine for
Angelina's mid-east dance performance.
- Lionel did jongling. I suppose it belongs in this report.
- Lorayne Alman -- w/ Isolde and Tibicen soloing on the
second verse, w/ top and bottom-on-alto lines.
- Horse's Bransle
- Madam Sosilia's Alman
- Rufty Tufty
- Amoroso -- for dance performance
- Pease Bransle -- started w/o announcement, and dance
- Gathering Peascods
To gig log for current year |
Back to Waytes of Carolingia main
Back to Carolingian Jongleurs' Guild main
Last modified -- minor reformatting -- by Eowyn, 7 October, AS
XXXXIIII (2009 C.E.).